Mashed Cauliflower is a low carb, creamy alternative to regular mashed potatoes. This version is so full of flavor!
Cauliflower is so popular in low carb eating plans. It takes the place of starch in everything from cauliflower rice to tortillas.
If you’re looking to sneak some more veggies into your routine, try making this mashed cauliflower as a side dish. It’ll go well with any main protein from chicken to fish.
Is Cauliflower Low in Carbs?
As a vegetable, cauliflower is low in carbs. A 100-gram serving of cauliflower has 5 grams of total carbohydrate. Of that, 2 grams is fiber. That makes the net carbs 3 grams which makes it a great substitute for denser carbs like white potato or sweet potato.
Low carb diets aren’t for everyone. However, if you need to lower your carb intake, making swaps like this mashed cauliflower recipe can be a great way to get started toward changing things up.
Mashed Cauliflower Ingredients
Mashed cauliflower has the texture of mashed potatoes. However, because it contains no potatoes, the final dish is much lower in carbs. That makes cauliflower mash if you’re following a lower carb eating plan.
The main ingredients in this recipe are simply cauliflower and garlic. The garlic adds plenty of flavor but it’s not overwhelming.
Olive oil helps make the final mashed cauliflower creamy. If you’d like, you can substitute the olive oil with avocado oil. Or, use ghee or butter if you can tolerate dairy.
This side dish is seasoned simply with salt and pepper. Garnish with chopped chives or parsley for an added color and flavor boost.
How to Make Mashed Cauliflower
Making this cauliflower mash is very easy. With a few basic ingredients, you’ll be surprised at how tasty this simple mashed cauliflower side dish is. Follow these steps:
- Cut the cauliflower florets off the core, and peel the garlic cloves.
- Steam the cauliflower and garlic for about 8 minutes or until tender.
- Next, combine the steamed cauliflower and garlic in a food processor along with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Process the ingredients until the mixture is smooth and you end up with mashed cauliflower.
Other Tasty Cauliflower Recipes
Looking for more delicious cauliflower recipes? You’re in luck. Check out these cauliflower recipes from the archives:
- Cauliflower Sweet Potato Curry Vindaloo
- Creamy Leek Soup
- Whole Roasted Cauliflower
- Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
- Lemon Garlic Shrimp with Cauliflower Rice
Mashed Cauliflower is tasty, low carb alternative to regular mashed potatoes. It’s creamy and satisfying with a hint of garlic. See how easy it is to make!
- 2 lb cauliflower
- 3 cloves garlic peeled
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
Rinse the cauliflower and cut the florets away from the core.
Place the cauliflower florets and garlic cloves into a medium saucepan along with about one inch of water. You can also use a steaming basket with one inch of water under it.
3. Steam for 8 minutes until the cauliflower is tender when pierced.
4. Put the steamed cauliflower and garlic cloves into a food processor or high speed blender. Add the olive oil, pepper and salt. Process for 30 seconds or until the mixture is smooth.
Today is Kacey Lish birthday and tomorrow is Aimee Ferrin’s birthday. If you see them wish them a happy one!
A. Clean Complex
8x [2 Hang Power Clean + 2 Push Jerk]
B. “Blowing Over”
50 Double Unders
10 Clean and Jerk 115/80